If you would like to obtain a copy of the "Women's Manifesto" and participate in our campaign get in contact by email on info@john4leader.org.uk or by post at John4Leader Campaign PO Box 2378, London E5 9QU.
This a blog for feminists who support John Mcdonnell MP's bid for the Labour Party Leadership. We want a Labour Party leader who will implement policies that will improve the majority of women's lives:I truly believe that John has what it takes to be the Leader of the Party/Prime Minister. The reason is quite simple he is the Best person for the Job in hand he is honest and has integrity. He cares passionately about people and the environment we all have to live in and could never be swayed from his socialist principles. Also he is one of the rare breed of men that truly believes in equality it was he who encouraged me to become an activist and a Councillor. Hayes and Harlington has flourished since the day John came our way. I ask you to support John McDonnell.Cllr. Lynne Allen‘As a doctor who has worked as a GP in the NHS for more than 30 years, I am supporting John McDonnell, as the only candidate who is actively defending the National Health Service by campaigning against the wholesale cuts, privatisation and fragmentation of the NHS which are taking place despite overwhelming opposition from ordinary people in this country.’Judy Atkinson, Brentford & Isleworth CLP, London amicus member. ‘John McDonnell's candidacy is an opportunity for the labour movement to call a halt to the privatising, pro-business agenda of New Labour, and to push for Labour to genuinely represent workers' - including women workers' - interests. That's why my union is pleased to support his campaign.’Janine Booth
Chair, RMT National Women's Advisory Committee
‘As a young woman I want go into the workplace knowing that I'll be recognised as the equal of my male colleagues; I want my mother to retire on a decent pension; I want to be able to make my own choices about my own body; I want to know that all women who suffer abuse will get the support they deserve; I want my daughters to grow up without having to worry about any of these things. That's why I'm supporting John McDonnell.’Claire Chalmers, Livingston CLP‘The rapid pace of fragmentation and privatization taking place in the NHS is frightening and so, like many, I applaud John's EDM calling for a Moratorium on the NHS. As a health worker, as a woman, as a trade unionist I find his beliefs refreshing and inspiring.’Grace Drewell, Health worker, South London & Maudsley NHS trust"It is working class women who are the victims of New Labour in London's East End. The towering tax-subsidised developments laugh over us as we juggle decreasing incomes and grapple with scarcer services. New Labour has been losing elections here (to Respect and the Tories), and we desperately need a Labour alternative. At a boroughwide party members' meeting, Charles Clarke offered Tory policies, Jim Fitzpatrick advocated abandoning all ideology, Oona King did a competency from her media studies course... and John McDonnell offered a spellbinding socialist alternative which could turn round our electoral fortunes and make such a difference to the diverse urban poor. This man can change lives."Jenny Fisher, Tower Hamlets Labour Party (25 years)‘I have been womens officer for the Hayes & Harlington constituency for many years, and a Labour councillor for 13 years, my specialist remit is Domestic Violence and the profound effect it has on women and children, both of whom are victims, women who are assaulted and the children who are the witnesses to the violence. John has always been incredibly supportive, helping me on many occasions when Ihave needed the input of the MP.’
Cllr Janet Gardner‘I am one of the many millions of means-tested women pensioners on an income below the £128 per week official poverty level. Therefore I am appalled that a Labour government, with £34.6bn surplus in the National Insurance Fund, is determined to keep us in poverty! When asked how much he was prepared to spend on the Iraq war and occupation, Gordon Brown said: “As much as it takes”, but he tells pensioners, and women in particular, that we should not complain. John McDonnell was a champion of pensioners long before he decided to stand in the leadership election; it’s now our turn to support him.’
Dot Gibson, Vice-President National Pensioners Convention (in a personal capacity)‘As a student I feel that a genuine left-wing Labour party would benefit me personally. I am frightened by the capitalist machine that this country has become, and deeply saddened that throughout my adult life 'Labour' has become a dirty word. I am convinced that there are many students like me who feel cheated and abused by Labour's recent changes to the university system. A new focus onpublic services (in addition to other more direct benefits to the nation) would help us to feel less like we are hurtling on a conveyor belt towards a lifetime of debt and servitude. 'Frances Grahl, Student , Queen Mary University."Supporting John McDonnell in the campaign for Labour leadership is the only way the people of Britain can regain their political voice, having felt oppressed by 10 years of war, privatisation and deception under New Labour. I know John would be able to provide for young people in this country through his opposition of tuition fees and his aims to defend civil liberties and provide a better minimum wage for young workers."
Gwen Grahl, Local Council Worker, Newham Council
‘John McDonnell inspired me to carrying on fighting within the Labour Party for a more left wing agenda and try to convince younger men and women that there is a value to being in the Labour Party.’Jenny Lennox, Manchester and Withington CLP‘Having experienced balancing a low paid part-time job with bringing up children, I am pleased to support a candidate who is completely committed to making childcare affordable and establishing a real living wage.’
Alice Mahon Former Labour MP for Halifax, who resigned from government over cuts to lone parents benefits in 1997."I support John McDonnell because of what he stands for, his amazing work ethic and fearlessness against what must be terrible pressure to conform to the Blairites in Labour. He always takes the right position in my opinion which is against the war in Iraq, In defense of Venezuela, against privatization, fair living wages, free and accessible healthcare and education and against exploitation. He is like a breath of fresh air in a world of political halitosis!"
Melanie MacDonald, Hands Off Venezuela‘I am supporting John because he stands up for women workers, be they striking catering workers at Gate Gourmet or low paid and undervalued public sector staff. His campaign is about challenging injustice and disrespect at work and organising all workers to reclaim their labour party.’Louise McMullan, Vauxhall CLP‘Labour party needs to back to what it was set up for, which was to look after the poor and weak and those oppressed by the powerful. Now more than ever, with the threat to peace and the environment, we need to go back to those roots of being decent and moral’
Lorraine Monk (lecturer and a member of UCU)
‘I joined the Party 30 years ago as a Labour Party Young Socialist. I'm absolutely inspired to see so many young people getting behind the John4Leader campaign. I believe John is the only leadership candidate who can give us a fresh start and take Labour forward in a socialist direction we can be proud of. He is a principled and courageous politician with a huge following in the trade unions and grassroots.’Councillor Susan Press Calder Valley CLP
'As a young woman working in education, I support John because he is the only labour leadership candidate prepared to speak out against the academies programme and the creeping privatisation of education'Charlynne Pullen, research officer in education“I am actively supporting John’s campaign for the Labour leadership because he, like me, believes in a socialist alternative to the policies pursued by New Labour. The policies, proposed by John in his Women’s Manifesto, will ensure that women will play a leading role in the campaign for justice and democracy and inspire everyone to help create a better world.”Linda Riordan MP'I am supporting John because of his of his policy pledges. I know he will stand by his pledges because of his proven record within the PLP. He also wants to strengthen the links with the trade union movement and reconnect with working people.'
Mary Simpson (TGWU personal capacity)
“Female oppression, poverty and inequality are directly linked to capitalism and economic exploitation. The eradication of class and labour exploitation and the embracing of socialism are an essential prerequisite for the emancipation of women. A Labour Party led by John McDonnell M.P. delivering socialist policies will undoubtedly take us closer to delivering equality for women in Britain.”Elaine Smith MSPConvenor of Scottish Labour’s Campaign for Socialism‘John is the only candidate that is and has always spoken out on women's and equality issues - whether its leading the fight for the low paid women workers at gate gourmet or fremantle care workers or speaking up for a women's right to choose.’Marsha Jane Thompson, London Regional Committee member (personal capacity).
No comments:
Post a Comment